Friday, May 10, 2013

Callings

Growing up in a nearly dead or newly wed ward meant that we didn't have a lot of young women or young men for that matter. So I always had callings, Beehive president, Mia Maid President, and Laurel President of course they were each at the time I fit into the age category. I was once even the class Sunday School president and five boys voted for me. I was the only girl at the time. It was great, I had so many opportunities to do services in these callings and was always relieved when I was released and a new one called, and shortly after I would be called to another one.

Well when I moved away to Ephraim, UT for two years, I was in the same ward the whole time and never received a calling it was weird. I once mentioned to the Bishop who said he would fix that, but never did. Then I moved to Logan and was in a singles ward and was dating the person that would become my husband. We got engaged and two months before we got married I was called as the ward librarian. Then we got married and were in our married student ward. We were called as the financial advisers, funniest thing ever. We had that one for two years and then moved down here to Layton. We were soon called into primary and soon after that had a baby.

It was so great to serve and work with my husband, but that was the hardest calling I have ever had. It was so difficult with a new baby. Their were several times, I wanted to go and ask the Bishop to be released. I knew that I needed to be in primary and stayed for two years. It was rough, it was challenging we had high "spirited kids" but I learned so much about myself and from the kids. Overall it was fun. Once I was released, I decided that they should never call young moms to primary or nursery.

For the past few weeks I felt like a new calling was coming and was so nervous, I really love serving on the enrichment committee, which is really called the additional relief society board committee (whatever though). So on Saturday Bryce said he got a call and said a member of the Bishopric wanted to speak with us. So we went on Sunday morning and they extended a call to me to serve in the nursery. I very hesitantly said yes, we left and I vented over and over again to Bryce how they should not call young moms into these callings. Anyone that congratulated me that day or mentioned something to me about it, heard my opinion. As I was sitting in Relief Society. It dawned on me that if I was so reluctant about this calling maybe it was where I needed to be. When I went to get set apart, I spoke with the Bishop about what made me nervous about this calling and once I was set a part, I had no doubt that this where I need to serve.

As a side note Bryce also got called to be the Elders Quorum Secretary. Also the ladies I will be serving with are a little older. One of the ladies is all about cuddles and snuggles, the other is more structured. We shall see where I fit in and Ava is thrilled I get to be one of her teachers.  Have you had a hard time with a calling please share?

3 comments :

  1. I was not the biggest fan of Nursery, but it is better than some callings. My hardest was probably compassionate service leader. I love giving service to people. But not everyone wants to get service, or give it. And some people only want it from certain people.. And I felt like I was a spy, no one wanted to let anyone know if someone needed anything. The RS president didn't think that new moms needed more than one meal. And a lady who had surgery who was older, who's husband was retired needed 2 weeks worth of meals.. It was a super hard calling. People got mad because I didn't know when someone needed help, and it was all my fault.. It isn't my fault that no one told me and that I wasn't friends with this person.. It was hard, and it made me not want to do service... or offer to do anything for anyone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were nursery leaders in Logan basically from the week we moved in for a year. At first it was really hard, no one but the one kid knew who we were. Something that helped me learn to live it is thinking ans reading about how Christ ministered to the children and how much he loved them and how I could show them that same love. I hope it turns out to be an awesome calling for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura T- I've been in nursery for about a year and a half. Sam and I served there while we were building our house and living with my parents. When we met with the bishop of our new ward he asked what callings we'd had before and the next week I got called to nursery again. I was less excited because Sam wouldn't be with me and I really wanted to get to know people in our ward. I like nursery better when it is structured. I feel more like a teacher and less like a babysitter. We have and average of 15 kids each week so structure also prevents chaos. I figure the only way I'm getting out is by having a baby, so I might be there awhile. I agree that mom's with their own kids under 5 and new people aren't the best fit for nursery. Overall I like my calling and feel like I am making a difference. I would like to learn to play the organ. I've liked the music callings best. Primary pianist is also on my dream calling list.

    ReplyDelete