Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls!


Red Velvet is something you either love or don't really care for.
I am a lover of Red Velvet anything. I saw a few pins floating around pinterest 
for red velvet cinnamon rolls. I knew I had to try them... 

These are perfect for Christmas or Valentines day. 

My first problem was that I have never made cinnamon rolls by myself.
I have only ever made them with my mom. My second problem it has been years since 
I have made them with my mom. 

So I searched and searched the world wide web for recipes. I found two that I 
liked and mixed and matched a little.

The recipe that I manly used can be found at No. 2 pencil and the other at the skinny fork.

Here is the recipe 

Red Velvet Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls

These took about three hours from start to finish
Makes 24 rolls 
1 box red velvet cake mix 
2 envelopes active dry yeast
2 and 1/2 cups warm water 
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups of all purpose flour

The Filling 
1 stick softened butter
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup of white sugar
cinnamon 
1 Tablespoon coco powder

The Frosting
2 sticks softened butter
3 cups powered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
2 packages of softened cream cheese 

I think these are worth drooling over! 
These clearly are not healthy.... but very Delicious 

Combine two packages of active dry yeast with warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir until dissolved. Add cake mix, flour, vanilla and salt. Mix, I used a hand mixer but I am sure a dough hook would be much much better. Move to larger bowl, cover (I used a towel), and let rise for about an hour. Punch dough down after an hour (my favorite part of the whole thing), and let rise again for another hour.

Use plenty of flour on a clean surface and turn dough out.  Shape into a ball, then roll into a rectangle shape. Spread softened butter over dough. Combine brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon and coco powder and spread onto the buttery dough!  Start from farthest edge and roll dough tightly into a long skinny log shape. Slice into 24 rolls.

Place rolls in pans that have been greased with butter, or sprayed with non stick cooking spray. I used one 9X13 and another round spring cake pan. Let rise a final time in pan for about 30 minutes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

While the rolls are baking, prepare cream cheese frosting. I once again used a hand mixer and bowl, combine room temperature butter with powdered sugar. Beat until well combined, then add vanilla and pinch of salt. Mix again, then while mixer is going, drop cubes of softened cream cheese in the bowl two or three at a time until frosting is well mixed. Do a taste test or five of the frosting.... 

Oh and I realized once I started baking them... I forgot the the cinnamon. 

Enjoy! 

No comments :

Post a Comment